I recently have read several articles on a new take on how to integrate exercise into your daily routine and increase your calorie use without going to the gym. You can do so through what is called Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis or NEAT! Some of the changes in routine that can be made at home are :
- 1. Hang up your laundry to dry, instead of throwing it in the dryer.
- 2. Wash your dishes by hand (50 calories burned in 30 minutes), instead of putting them in the dishwasher.
- 3. Shovel snow from your sidewalk or driveway (350 calories in 60 minutes), instead of hiring someone to use a snowplow or snow blower.
- 4. Cook meals at home from scratch (100 calories in 60 minutes), instead of going out or using microwave.
- 5. Invite friends over for dinner or a game night instead of just sitting watching TV all night.
- 6. Limit your time answering e mails and surfing the net, instead of sitting silently in front of the screen for hours on end.
Next week we will post more great ideas as to how you can integrate NEAT into your work and also into the rest of your life. We already do some of these things but are trying to implement as many new ones as possible hope you will try them too!